Children's Financial Support After Divorce or Separation

Coventry child support attorneys covering Warwick, North Kingston and Cranston

During divorce or separation proceedings, the court may order the noncustodial parent to pay child support to the custodial parent. The court order seeks to justly divide the children's living expenses between both parents.

Kerry I. Rafanelli, Attorney at Law has guided divorcing and separating parents in establishing, modifying and enforcing child support for 30 years. Kerry is recognized as an advocate for children. He was featured in the Rhode Island Monthly magazine for his skillful representation of children in his role as a Guardian Ad Litem. When choosing a lawyer for divorce, knowing that we consider your children's best interests when formulating our plans gives you peace-of-mind that your family will receive the financial support they need.

Establishing child support

You and the other parent should share childrearing costs -- including food, clothes, medical care, education and extracurricular activities. Child support continues until your children reach age 18, have graduated from high school or are emancipated. The court considers several factors when establishing child support, including:

  • Incomes of both parents
  • Number of children requiring support
  • Total expenses of the children
  • Special needs
  • Health insurance
  • School tuition

Rhode Island utilizes a child support guideline in determining a minimum child support obligation

Modification of child support orders

Your family's financial situation may change during the years following your divorce. You and the other parent are required to follow the last existing order until a judge rules on a modification.  To obtain a modification, you must prove a financial change in circumstance. For example, the noncustodial parent might seek a modification based upon a lost job or reduced income, whereas the custodial parent might show that the children require more support because of the other parent's increase in income.

Child support enforcement

If the other parent is not abiding by a child support order, our East Greenwich child support lawyers can assist you with enforcement.

Learn more from experienced lawyers

Consult an experienced East Greenwich attorney who can advise you about establishing fair child support. Call Kerry I. Rafanelli, Attorney at Law or contact us online to schedule your free consultation.